Sunday, November 13, 2022

Shar's Quilts

Like many other places around the country, we've had record breaking warm temperatures in November. And shortly we'll have record breaking cold temperatures! Like night times temps in the 20s for us. 

I'm caught up to date on November's row in my temperature quilt. Those cold blues are finally starting to make an appearance. 

My son remarried last year, and it turns out my new daughter-in-law's mother is a quilter. Or at least she used to be, up until 7 or 8 years ago. She made a bunch of tops and then seemingly couldn't figure out how to get them quilted. 

She took at least one to a longarm quilter and apparently wasn't happy with it. Then she bought a sit-down longarm and was too intimidated to use it. Fast forward, the quilts are still not quilted, so after Christmas last year I offered to quilt them for her. 

The brown, green and teal was the first one I finished for her, and I thought it turned out really well. I used a teal thread and the Daisy Swirl pantograph from Willow Leaf Studio to mimic the flowers in that light print. 

The next one was the Dora quilt, which was supposed to be for her granddaugher, who is now 13 and might find it too juvenile. No idea what Shar plans to do with it now. My son's daughter is now 6, and it might be perfect for her. 

I quilted the Dora quilt with the Twofold Feathers pantograph from Urban Elementz in purple thread. This is one of my favorite pantographs, and I thought it looked good on all the open spaces in this quilt. 

Both of these quilts I finished in April. 

I have one more of Shar's quilts in my possession, and it is this chain link kind of block. I've never seen this design before--it looks very modern to me. Has anyone else ever come across it?

And it's actually not a block design. The half hexie shapes are sewn together in long rows, and the center section is sewn in long rows, then all three rows are sewn together. Interesting.

There's some fullness in the print strips between the hexies, so I am using a less dense pantograph so hopefully no tucks anywhere. For the thread color, it didn't seem like much of anything would show up on that busy print, so I went with a variegated brown, which I thought looked okay in the hexies. 

A few more passes tomorrow on Shar's quilt, and maybe a few more blocks for the Scary Faces quilt.

2 comments:

Judy S. said...

Nice work on the quilts! I have been procrastinating on finishing the binding on several quilts and need to get inspired. Our quilt group fell apart during COVID with the deaths of several members, and I just learned that the annual quilt show isn't happening this year. (It's normally Veteran Day's weekend.) What an interesting idea to make a temperature quilt! I made a temperature scarf quite a while ago, and it was fun. Are you doing one row for each month? My scarf was a daily record and got pretty long!

Chantal said...

The temperature has dipped very low at my place too. And the wind had a say in that too. It turned too cold too fast. We didn't get a chance to get used to it. At least my car has its snow tires already so I'm good. Love the brown-green-teal one. Your quilting is just perfect. I've never seen the chain link block before. Maybe it's her own design? It's interesting though. Have a lovely Thanksgiving. ;^)