Saturday, March 2, 2019

Another February Finish

First and foremost, I apologize if someone has posted a comment to my blog and I haven't responded. Blogger is still not forwarding comments to my email address. I have tried to fix it several times without any luck. I shall keep trying.

B-Ribboned, from a kit by Carla Klop of Kits by Carla, is finally quilted, bound, labeled, and ready for presentation. Done. The Maine state coordinator for Quilts of Valor had a booth at our chapter quilt show in October last year, and she gave me the kit to make, along with several more panels. A few of our chapter members took panels to work on also, so I'll have a few more quilts to pass on to Donna.
I love kits, and this one was nice because it included fabric for the backing and binding as well. I have to say that the ribbon border was a bit of a chore but well worth the effort. I quilted it with a pantograph called Patriot. It's the one I use most often for my Quilts of Valor, mostly because I haven't yet found another that I like.

This is another QOV I've been working on for awhile, and I'm anxious to get this one finished up too. It's called In Honor Of, from a pattern I found in the Jan 2013 issue of Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting by Diane Tomlinson. They run a pattern for a QOV in every issue, which is one of the reasons I continue to subscribe to the magazine.

This quilt is made with Stonehenge fabrics by Linda Ludovico. I like these fabrics and this pattern so much that I bought enough to make two, one to donate and one to keep.

Recently I found a dinosaur panel at Marden's, and I was surprised to see it's also made by Stonehenge. Last week I found some of the companion fabrics from the same collection at Cotton Cupboard in Bangor, enough to make a small lap quilt for my granddaughter. She's into dinosaurs these days, so I want to hurry up and get this made before she goes out of her dinosaur phase, lol.

I guess most quilters probably have plenty of UFOs, and I have dozens. I am a sucker for an inviting new project whenever it comes along, which means whatever is current is most likely abandoned. Several years back I found the One Project a Month program and signed up. In the right sidebar is a link to that website, and my list of monthly finishes follows. For me, it hasn't been entirely successful, even though I did manage to finish 12 quilts last year; but it's still motivational enough for me to keep at it.

This past week I discovered a website called Elm Street Quilts. They have a similar program in place called One Monthly Goal, and they have sponsors and monthly drawings for prizes. What's not to love? So I signed up, and I'll give that a try too. More motivation. There is a new icon in my sidebar that will take you to the page with information about the challenge.

In keeping with the rules of the challenge, my One Monthly Goal for March is to finish the top of In Honor Of. If I persevere, I might even get it finished. You can visit the Goals folks have submitted for March here. If you're interested, you can sign up too, but hurry if you plan to do it--the deadline for sign up for the month of March is the 7th.

Lol, I need all the motivation I can get--some of us need it more than others. My quilt chapter is also doing a UFO Challenge this membership year. For those who wanted to participate, we were to choose 10 projects to complete before our second meeting in June. Those who finish all 10 would have their names submitted for a prize drawing. So far I've finished one, so I doubt very much if I'll pull it off. But even if I only get 2 or 3 done, that's still more than I might have got done otherwise. My list of 10 UFOs for the challenge has also been added to the sidebar.

3 comments:

Lori said...

OMG is great fun and a motivator for at least one project each month.

Patty said...

Glad you found OMG! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly goal and good luck with your project!

Judy S. said...

Fabulous finish! I am sure it will be well loved.