Friday, March 8, 2019

March Finish -- Prehistoric

I know that spring is right around the corner because the daffodils tell me so. But you wouldn't know it by the temperature--it was 10 degrees when I got up this morning. They're difficult to see in the photo, but there are two daffodils that have popped up, about 5" tall now, snow be damned.


The other reason I know that spring is coming is because my Christmas cactus--which NEVER blooms at Christmas--is bearing some new buds and blossoms.


It's actually a Thanksgiving-spring cactus because that's when it blooms. Last year at Thanksgiving, it had more blossoms than it's ever had. The real spring Christmas cactus, called a summer cactus according to the tag, actually does bloom in the summer. But only once in about 4 years, hahaha. 


I got another row finished on the In Honor Of QOV this week, but the push was to finish the dinosaur quilt for my granddaughter for presentation this weekend. Although I bought the rest of that cool border stripe that was on the bolt, it still wasn't quite enough for the pattern I intended to make, so I elimated the additional piecing, added the three borders and called it good. Just as well, because it's bigger than I anticipated, which is fine. 

I wound up having to piece the side borders, which was interesting, and definitely a make-it-work moment. I managed to match the motifs perfectly, and most of it got chopped off in the corner miters, lol. 


And for her new toddler-sized pillow, a pair of pillowcases to go with the quilt. 

It took me three days, working most of the day and into the evening, to start and finish the entire quilt, plus the two pillowcases. I think I am a new fan of panels.

2 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

I have a number of "christmas cacti" that begin blooming in early December and take turns even to date. I think they each want their own time without competition. One of them was a cutting I brought back from a trip to my brother's home and saw it blooming in summer. It is a pale salmon-pink and, though it doesn't wait until summer, still picks it's own time.
You did a wonderful job with those panels!

Judy S. said...

Nice work on the quilt! i expected it to be a very old UFO, LOL! My Christmas cacti bloom at random times also.