Thursday, June 29, 2023

Last Finish for June

There is no rain in the forecast today, but more is predicted within the next week. The sun is peaking out through cloudy skies. We got another 4-1/2 inches of rain this week at camp. The water level at the lake is so high now that more than half our dock is underwater and the top step of those two little staircases is underwater too. The water level was three inches under the end of the dock when it was installed earlier this summer. When hubby goes out to the boat, the water is over his ankles. 

Last summer we were in a severe drought condition; this summer we're flooding everywhere. It's just crazy. Conditions have been just right for a sturgeon run up the Cobbossee stream that hasn't been seen here for 40 years. You can't see them especially well in this photo, but they're big, about 3-6 feet in length but up to 10 feet. These are Atlantic sturgeon, and they're spawning right under the bridge downtown. 

I planned to sew all day yesterday, but my plans were derailed by other work that had to be done; so I was up til midnight finishing this quilt. This is 'Feels Like Fall', a round robin my quilt group did, which we called the Tacoma Pizza Box Challenge. Each participant provided a center block and a pizza box full of fabric, and I included some yardage and an abundance of scraps in fall colors in mine.

We made our center blocks in early 2019, and the reveal was in June that year. I don't know why I never blogged about it, I just never did. 

I quilted it with a leaf design, which I liked but hadn't used before. The design is nice but maybe a little too open to suit me, so I'm not sure if I'd use it again. 

I love these embroidered labels. I had a lot of information I wanted to include, and I hate to write them by hand; so an embroidered one was just the ticket. I embroider almost all of my labels and have for years.



4 comments:

Judy S. said...

Very nice! I don't think I will have anymore finishes this month though.

Chantal said...

We have too much rain too but no flood. I love Feels Like Fall. The ladies did an excellent job at each round. Wonderful! Enjoy! ;^)

Sandy said...

That's a lot of water! Hope you don't get any additional rain for awhile and things can level out. The fall quilt is gorgeous! Wish I could read the print though, you had me curious.

SueR said...

Sandy, that is a lot of water! It has receded some, but half the dock is still underwater, and there is more rain in the forecast, lol. It’s been an interesting summer. I’m glad you like the fall quilt. I was surprised how well it turned out. I blurred the label—it’s a privacy thing for me. It has the name of the quilt, location, date finished, and the names of the players. Thanks for visiting!