Tuesday, January 16, 2024

First Finishes of 2024

 * Linking up to Oh Scrap!

I haven't blogged for quite a while, but I'm still here. It's disappointing to follow a link to someone's blog to read about their quilts, only to discover that they quit updating a long time ago. I always wonder if something happened to them, or if they just lost interest or what; so I won't do that. 

Last year was another year that was not as productive as I'd hoped. I did finish 10 quilts in the first half of last year, and then mostly nothing for the latter half of the year. 

I just finished this quilt a few days ago. It's called RST2 (Right Sides Together Squared) from 3 Dudes Quilting. It was a kit I found in Madison on a quilt chapter bus trip. I wasn't crazy about the pattern, but I very much liked the colors. I also liked that there was no specific background fabric. Wish I could find more patterns like that. 

I quilted it with a pantograph called Twofold Feathers, one of my favorites, from Urban Elementz.
 










These colors just sing to me.









I just finished this quilt today. This is another Fun Patch that I made with leftover pieces from the first one I made last year. The original quilt was an already made top I bought at a silent auction. I added blocks to the top to make it a little larger, but there were still many print pieces left over. And there are still more left over that will go into a third quilt.

This is a one-patch pattern with a single template piece. The copy of the pattern I have, called Fun Patch, I think, was from an old Quiltmaker magazine; but once I started hunting for it on the internet, I found it under various names, like Whirligig. I also discovered that Creative Grids makes a ruler to cut these pieces. The angle is not as steep, but using a ruler to cut out the pieces is a whole lot faster. 



I really like this pattern a lot. I can see it in a variety of fabrics or scraps or a rainbow version. I also made a miniature version from a French General charm pack, still just a top; and there's a second one in the works.


3 comments:

Chantal said...

Congrats on your double finishes. I understand why you say these colours sing to you, they are gorgeous! Love the scrappiness of the second one. Enjoy! ;^)

Judy S. said...

Great to see your post! Nice work on the quilts; you sure finished more than I did.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing TWO quilts this month!!