Thursday, November 19, 2009

New Mittens

I have conquered thrummed mittens. I started this mitten three different times. On the second try I probably had half of it done, then realized it was going to be a couple sizes too large, so I ripped it all out and started again. I could probably still go down one more size, but they'll be fine as they are.

The pattern I was given was for a double knitted mitten to be worked on on two needles. Knitting the hand wasn't much trouble, but it got more complicated when I got to the thumb. I had no directions on how to knit it flat and join it to the body, so I knit it on double pointed needles and sort of made it up as I went along. It was a feat of sheer perserverance and patience to knit the thumb with the thrums inside.

Here is a pile of thrums waiting to be knit into the mittens. I tear off a wisp of wool from my roving, fold the ends to the middle, and then twirl it between my fingers to sort of felt the middle. That did make them easier to work with.

This is what the mitten looks like on the inside. All these little wool bits will eventually mat together and form a nice, soft liner.

The other mitten is now well underway, and felted mittens are next on my list. My good friend Sherry is also going to show me how to make a pair of mittens from an old sweater and some fleece, a two-layer mitten that sounds incredibly warm.

7 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oh, I admire your perseverance! Knitting frustrates me (keep dropping the needles)and I really appreciate the challenge of what you are doing.

Patchmaker said...

Congratulations on getting them done! I'm 3/4 of the way through my first pair . . . will post on my blog when they're done.

Judy S. said...

What a great idea for warm and cozy mittens, Sue. I'd like to give thrums a try someday.

Lori in South Dakota said...

Now THAT'S talent! I am so impressed, they look great and I bet they'll be toasty warm!

Unknown said...

Wow, I am impressed. They look great.

Beth French said...

Your hands will be toasty warm this winter. Happy hands! Good job, Sue!

rachel said...

Looking great! I made a pair that used to make my hands steam in the winter. I wore them so much that the fleece got all balled up inside and it feels lumpy now.

I have another thrumming technique that I have been using recently where the fleece doesnt peek through to the outside. I've also started using locks of fleece (make friends with a sheep farmer...not sure where else you can buy locks of fleece) Now I can comb the inside of the mitten, and it will prevent the fleece from felting into lumps.
check out my tutorial (pics included)