Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Crafty Day

Today was my monthly meeting for embroidery group, and we learned how to make an embossed design. Embossing is heavy stitching on a napped fabric like terry cloth or fleece, which mats down the background so the primary design stands out. Monograms and lettering are a popular way to use the embossing technique, so I stitched out this little "home" design on a hand towel. It looks a little shiny in the picture because I haven't rinsed out the stabilizer yet. I really love the effect. It's hard to resist the urge to go around the house embroidering every towel I own.

I am in the mood to make small quilts these days, so this afternoon I worked some more on this crocus pattern. I'm making the mini size, which finishes to 14" x 16". I started it only three days ago, so I'm making good progress.

The pattern is from Eileen Sullivan's Designer's Workshop. She has a whole series of different flower patterns, and I think I probably own all of them. She just released two new ones, Daisies and Coneflowers, which are on my wish list.

6 comments:

Lynette said...

Wow! I'm going to have to check out her patterns. That's GORGEOUS! I just got really comfortable with paper piecing last month. :) THanks for sharing.

Margo in Maine said...

Simply adorable....I love it!!! love it!!! love it!!!

Joan said...

Great embroidery and lovely block.

Denise said...

Love the flowers as I mentioned in your previous post, I haven't paper pieced yet, but these sure are tempting to try.

Judy S. said...

Love that crocus! It looks like a nice springy project. Your dino quilt is very cute also...the T-rex is a scary looking guy, so no one'll miss his head! I sure wish your embroidery group was closer. What great motivation it must be!

Purple Pam said...

What a great project to do with your group. It turned out very nice. Your crocus design is very colorful. I am assuming it is paper pieced?