Tuesday, January 26, 2016

First Finish for 2016

Missed my post last week, but there's little to report. Hubby and I are beginning extensive renovations in the kitchen, and renovation in one room always seems to affect three or four others. We're shifting furniture around and having to develop creative storage ideas, so not much sewing is getting done right now.

I did manage to finish the binding on Rooster Tales. I presently have blue metal cabinets in my kitchen and thought the quilt would go nicely in there, but that will all change in the next several months. Now I'm not sure what to do with this quilt, but at least it's done.

Credit where credit is due: "Checkerboard Tiles" by Bethany Reynolds.

If I hadn't been desperate to have a piece of fabric to use for the workshop (years ago), this could easily have been a what-was-I-thinking moment. I used up as much of the original fabric as I could for the back. Plus I think it's always fun to see what the original fabric looked like.



I also finished the yellow-green ribbon on the left and got most of the pieces for the red ribbon set in place. After the red ribbon is finished, I'll finally be able to sew three vertical rows together. That's progress!

 I'm coming along nicely on sister-in-law's socks. I just finished the heel gusset and started the foot.
See how the heel is checkered with gray and brown? I learned a new way to reinforce the heel area from Lucy Neatby's sock class on Craftsy. Not only does it provide reinforcement and some extra cushion, but the heel is a bit more interesting.

Have you collected any or all of Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazines? They're up to Volume 12 now. Bonnie Hunter seems to have a block in just about every issue; and I'm a big fan, so I like to get the magazines. At one point the designers were receiving these special 100 Blocks mugs, but they weren't available to the general public, which is a shame. A couple weeks ago, I happened across an online vendor who had two of them for sale, so I snapped them up! Each mug is different--one for Volume 2 and one for Volume 4. I think these are so cool, and I'll be on the lookout for more of them.



3 comments:

Judy S. said...

Love those socks! For someone in the midst of a kitchen makeover, you're getting an awful lot done in the quilting/knitting arena! Love that top quilt, too! Don't forget to take before and after and along the way photos of your kitchen.......

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think it is important to have the original fabric in the quilt somewhere too. It makes it all the more amazing.

I remodeled my kitchen 9 years ago and had my living room and dining room filled with the appliances and kitchen furniture as well as my whole studio contents. The hardwood floor was being refinished in the kitchen and studio. It is an adventure and well worth it. I still love the refinished floor and the new kitchen.

Julie Fukuda said...

The rooster quilt seems to be a stack and whack and the blocks have quite a variety. I have made several by just marking and cutting rather than stack them and each time I like the variety and the way they coordinate because f the colors in the print.