Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Stash Report

I finished the raffle quilt this evening, and I think it looks great. Koleen deserves the credit for choosing the fabrics for the sashings and borders. I thought a one-inch sashing would be too narrow, but it's perfect. I've always liked sampler quilts and have wanted to make one for a long time and just never got around to it. Working on this quilt gives me some motivation to start on one of my own, maybe next year.

I missed the stash report last Sunday, and here's the rest of what I've accomplished in the last two weeks:

--Cut and pieced the borders for the Theresa's Stars quilt and finished the top
--Cut and pieced another strippy
--Cut out all the squares for a queen-sized rag quilt

I've had the homespuns for the rag quilt for quite a while and added more last week. I had taken the squares with me to work on at Kay's; and after I got the very first set of squares sewn together, Barb suggested that I use my embroidery machine to quilt a design in each square. I thought that was a great idea. I'm not proficient at all with my embroidery machine and haven't tried to quilt anything with it; so I guess I'll make some time to play around with that idea, but probably not until after Christmas.

Besides the homespuns and a medley from Keepsake, I also bought 6 yards of a beautiful blue-green batik at the Cote Bros. retirement sale. It was a good price, so I may have to go back next week or the week after for a few more batiks. Other than that, I stocked up on embroidery threads and bought a new seam ripper and a pack of sewing machine needles. I wish the embroidery software would go on sale, but I'm not holding my breath. I know at least some of it is on consignment and won't go on sale.

Here's the Stash Manager's Report:

Fabric used this week: 13-3/4 yards
Fabric used year to date: 188-1/2 yards
Fabric added this week: 19-1/2 yards
Fabric added year to date: 350-3/8 yards
Net year to date: - 161-7/8 yards

My goals for this week are to machine stitch the binding to the Twelve Stars quilt, machine quilt one of the strippies, and machine quilt the Theresa's Stars quilt. I plan to use flannel on the back of the strippy, and I hope it doesn't give me fits with the tension.

7 comments:

Paula said...

The raffle quilt turned out wonderfully! You did a great job using blocks that weren't consistent in size. You can't tell by looking at it!

Shari said...

The narrow sashing is perfect. I love the quilt. I hope the winner appreciates all the hard work!

Good luck with the fundrasing!

Cheers

Teresa said...

Sue, The raffle quilt turned out great. Love the colors! I've used my embroidery machine to quilt motifs on rag quilts & it looks really nice. I do the embroidery before the squares are sewn together or in smaller sections kind of like quilt as you go as Rag Quilts can get heavy. I use wash away stabilizer sprayed with 505 & long straight pins to hold in place.I don't try to hoop the fabric, just adhere to top. Or I've used my largest hoop with a window cut in heavy cutaway stabilizer & long straight pins. Both work great. Have fun, Teresa

Pat said...

You did a great job of making everything *fit* on the raffle quilt...they can be challenging to piece!

Let us know how the flannel backing quilts up...I've heard that the stitches sink in and disappear. So far, I've only used cotton for backing.

Margo said...

It is beautiful Sue...Missed you this weekend...we had a great time...will try and get pics posted tonight....see you Friday...

Barb D said...

You did a GREAT job with those blocks!! The quilt looks absolutely perfect and I know we will sell a lot of tickets for this one!! Maybe some of our "blogger" friends will be intereted too!! See ya Friday.

Koleen said...

Sue, The quilt looks absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to see it in the fabric...you know, in the flesh...in the fabric.