Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday Stash Report

I am exhausted from working so many hours this month; and as the month wears on I find I have less and less energy to do anything including sewing. Beginning the week after Christmas though, my schedule will get back to normal. I have lots of things to get caught up with.

In the meantime, I've been chipping away at a few little odds and ends in the sewing room and finally got the binding done on this quilt, which you've seen before here. This is my fourteenth finish for the year.

Next up is the binding for the Tug O' War quilt, which I've already started on. This is the biggest quilt I've ever made, about 95" x 110", so it'll take some time. I almost have the second side finished.

I also took the time to throw a little pink and blue strippy on the longarm to practice the bubbles pantograph I want to use on the Orange Crush quilt. I'm still hoping to get these two quilts finished before year's end, but I'm rapidly running out of time. If I could just get a day off somewhere, I could do it!

In the last couple of weeks, I've added a grand total of 3 yards to the stash. Not bad, eh? Haven't used anything though. The backing for the pink and blue strippy was a flannel sheet from the thrift shop that looked pretty new, and I never counted it into the stash.

Here's the Stash Manager's report:

Fabric used this week: 0 yards
Fabric used year to date: 196-7/8 yards
Fabric added this week: 3 yards
Fabric added year to date: 354-7/8 yards
Net year to date: - 158 yards

Years ago before I began quilting I was passionate about crosstitch, but I haven't done it for a long time. I started this small piece a couple of years ago as a Christmas ornament. All I had left to do was add a few musical notes, but I put it away and never finished it. I dug it out a few days ago, as it's a perfect thing to work on when I'm too tired for anything else.

I've also given some more thought to what I want to do in the sewing room next year. I never make New Year's resolutions because I never keep them, but the New Year still represents a new beginning and new opportunities. Besides focusing on scrap quilts, I'd like to spend more time learning my Electric Quilt program and learning machine embroidery. I recently found a new blogger who does some machine embroidery and enjoyed browsing her site. She made a free standing lace ornament of an ice skate that I really liked. My good friend Barb made some lace segments which she then draped over a glass Christmas bulb, and it was lovely. Inspiration abounds!

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Your QFAH looks great! Congrats on the finishes! The cross stitch is really cute too.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I like your New Year's Resolution to learn new things!

Good job on the QFAH and finishing your cross stitch!

Very Cute!

Stephanie D said...

Love the quilt you put the binding on--simple, but elegant.

I used to do cross-stitch, too, but it just got to be too tiny for these eyes, I guess. I didn't enjoy it any more, so switched to quilting. I love that little design, too.

I bought EQ 5 a couple of years ago, but our computer was so old, it couldn't handle it and I could never learn it. I'm hoping for the EQ 6 update for Christmas and with the new computer, I also hope to spend some time figuring it out.

Barb D said...

Love the quilt!! Anytime you need help or guidance with the Machine Embroidering, give me a shout!! Same with the EQ program - I have EQ6 and I don't use it nearly enough but plan to do some designing in the new year!