The daffodils are blooming--spring has finally arrived in Maine. It was a lovely day, breezy, cool, so we worked in the yard. I spent seven hours picking up branches and pinecones knocked down by the winter storms, raking leaves, and pulling a few weeds. The War of the Violets has already started this year, and I've added lilies to the list of Weeds To Eradicate this year as well. Yes, I know lilies are a cultivated flower, but it's a weed if it's growing where I don't want it! I was wiped out by the time I came in for supper, and I'll be paying for it the next two days.
Last week I joined the ranks of the retired. The decision was put to me by an employer looking to pare down its work force due to the deplorable business climate, and it was a decision I agonized over for weeks. I changed my mind so many times I lost count. In the end I took the offer because, in my heart of hearts, I do not believe the Obama administration will be good for business over the next four years, and I wasn't willing to gamble away my retirement benefits by risking a layoff at some point. I'm not happy about it at all, but my consolation is that I can go back to the company as a seasonal hire during the holiday season.
In the meantime, I have plenty of housework to catch up on, and it feels good to finally get some of this work done. Course I also have a multitude of quilting and knitting projects waiting for me, and I will finally be able to make it to some of the quilting and knitting groups that meet during the day. And blogging! More time for blogging!
That said, I haven't sewn much the last week. I did make some headway on the Snowman quilt, but it's not close to being finished. On Friday we got together at Kay's for quilt group, and beforehand I foraged around in my sewing room for a small project to work on. I remembered a miniature I started years ago, so I dug it out to take with me. I made good progress on it and am nearly done with the blocks.
There are 13 blocks in the quilt, set on point. Each of the squares in those tiny nine patch blocks finishes to 3/8 ", so it is painstaking work. The whole top will finish to 18" x 18", so I'd be surprised if I used a yard of fabric, but that's what I'm reporting.
Here's the Stash Manager's Report:
Fabric used this week: 1 yard
Fabric used year to date: 28-1/4 yards
Fabric added last week: 0 yards
Fabric added year to date: 42 yards
Net used year to date: -13-3/4 yards
Goal for this week: finish the top.