In the ongoing War of the Violets, I worked out in the yard for about four hours yesterday evening and dug out rhizomes until my fingers were too sore to function anymore. We've finally gotten the upper hand and managed to eradicate them from the majority of the yard now, but we still have a few problem areas left to work.
As we were walking around in the newly seeded section of the yard, we discovered oh! horrors! a few violets coming up here and there. We dug every last one of them out and will have to continue to watch over the summer to dig out any new ones that may appear. I was hoping that scraping off the topsoil would have solved that problem, but I suppose a few that were missed was inevitable.