Where the heck did the week go? I spent plenty of time in my sewing room this week, but it doesn't seem like I got much done. I can tell you I didn't get anything done on my Orange Crush, but I did get a few more blocks made on Koleen's quilt and got all the subunits made up for the next set of 10 blocks. After I got the blocks made this week, my husband let me know that he didn't like them. I don't mind that he didn't like them, but I wish he'd told me before I made them, not after. Since I'm testing the pattern, I decided to make it up the way it's supposed to go, then go back before I actually sew all the blocks together into a top and switch out the offending blocks. I'll use the extra blocks for pillow shams or something.
The Orange Crush mystery has been revealed, and it went together the way I supposed it would. I really like it so much; but Bonnie had one last surprise in store--another 96 blocks to be made for the border. I don't know yet if I'll do that or if I'll just use plain borders.
I did get the backing and batting ready for the Quilt for an Hour quilting, only to find out that Ann has broken her wrist. We had a nice chat this evening, and I'll take my quilt to her tomorrow with the understanding that it may sit there 6 weeks til she gets the cast off. Poor Ann, it's only a hairline fracture, but I'd go crazy if I couldn't sew for 6 weeks. Ann thinks she might be able to drive her longarm anyway, since she's right handed; but I'd really hate for her to push it.
I also got the top for this little strippie done, using Mary Johnson's Quick Strippie pattern. I was thrilled how fast it went together; and once I can get it on the longarm it'll quilt up fast too. I'd love to be able to do one of these a week. Not only will they make wonderful little practice pieces, but they'll use up some stash too. I used 2-3/4 yards for this strippie, and it's a great way to show off a novelty print. I've got some children's prints that I bought for other projects that never got made, and they'll be perfect for these strippies.
Here's the Stash Manager's Report:
Fabric used this week: 2-3/4 yards
Fabric used year to date: 82-3/8 yards
Fabric added this week: 0 yards
Fabric added year to date: 125-5/8 yards
Net year to date: - 43-1/4 yards
The War of the Violets is going quite well. My husband and I cleared out over half of one big section in the front yard. I keep going back over the parts we've already done to make sure they're not popping back up, and so far so good. The second half is actually the worst of it, so we still have much work left to do. In the other half of the yard, the baby grass is sprouting. The temperature also shot up yesterday and today, so we may have to work a little harder keeping it watered. We were fortunate enough to have had several days of rain this week, and I am praying for rain later this week. In fact, I'll be praying for lots of rain the whole summer. I'd love to have some of what Lori got!
Credit where credit is due:
Instructions for Quick Strippie by Mary Johnson, MaryQuilts.com