Thursday, January 14, 2010

Persistence Pays Off

I really struggled with this star block for my September Sun quilt last time I worked on it, which was several months ago. I lost some seam allowances, so I knew I'd have to rip part of it out to fix it.

Have I mentioned how much I detest ripping? It's been sitting in the closet since last fall...right next to the Pinwheel Party quilt. However, having achieved success with the Pinwheel quilt, I decided I was ready to tackle the star block again.

This time I printed out freezer paper templates for the corner squares, setting triangles, and the eight big diamonds, ironed them to the backs of all my pieces, then used them as guides to piece the block. It worked perfectly-- my points all match up, and the block finished to the correct size. Yay!

Now I'm ready to start sewing the blocks into rows and add the four borders. I'm going to try to get the top finished by next weekend. Then I have to decide whether I can manage the quilting myself or if I should have my good friend Koleen do some custom quilting on it.

9 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

that is going to a beautiful quilt. Doing the ripping really doesn't take that much time once you get at it. I'm glad it worked out well this time.

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Your block is beautiful. I can't wait to see the entire quilt!

Judy D in WA said...

WOW! This is gorgeous. Doesn't it feel good to go back, fix those dreadful mistakes and move forward?? I'm anxious to see the whole quilt.

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

Wow, a very striking top! I can't wait to see how it is quilted.

Judy S. said...

Fabulous, Sue! I'd say the ripping paid off! The yarn in the dishcloths is Sugar and Cream, very reasonably priced and 100% cotton with a HUGE color selection, at least at our Jo-Anns.

Elsie Montgomery said...

How stunning this one is... and the unsewing was certainly worth it!

Barb D said...

Perfect!!! I can't wait to see the top pieced! Mine is still in the bag - I hope to get it out this weekend and see where I am and use your suggestion and make templates from freezer paper so I can get it together without too much ripping!

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my goodness...this is spectacular! WOW!

jovaliquilts said...

This is really spectacular! Really, really.

Sorry to be so late with commenting. I got behind and am just catching up. Looks like I missed some good stuff!