Thursday, October 31, 2019

OMG for October Done

Woo hoo, made it under the wire again, and two more UFOs bite the dust! One is Yankee Puzzle #1, and I'm donating it to a local veterans' shelter.
















The other one is Stella Blue. I think my friend Koleen did an excellent job choosing the colors and fabrics.

See in the upper left corner of the photo, how five of the flying geese blocks are flying the wrong way? I panicked momentarily, thinking I got them backwards; but I double checked the pattern, and it's correct.Not that it matters, I suppose.
I used a pantograph that was more dense than I usually use, but it is the sort of thing I think Koleen would have chosen had she quilted it herself. In the end I very much liked it.

There are some excellent finishes this month. See what others have accomplished here.




I'm aiming to finish two more quilts in November. The blocks for the Missouri Two Step are all put together, just need to add some borders. And I have a BQ2 quilt top finished and ready to quilt. 

I made this sewing gadget holder a week or so ago. The pattern was given to me by a friend, and unfortunately it wasn't attributed. I hunted for it on the internet but no luck. Anyway, it is nothing more than a quilted cover with pockets that slips over a freestanding acrylic 10" x 8" picture frame. Quick to sew and oh so handy. 
Not having made one before and not having a photo in front of me, I didn't realize that so little of the base fabric would show on the front. This is the back of the sleeve, and I really wanted to see more of this fabric on the front. Had I known, I would have used my focus fabric instead of the red for the bottom pocket. I have more of the selvage fabric, so maybe I'll gift this one and make another to keep. 
I also made a bunch of soap this month. Candy corn... 
Beehive soap, scented with honey...

And animal soaps for my granddaughter.
I like to admire my soaps, so I line them up across the windowsill in my kitchen, lol. DGD stayed with us a couple weekends ago, and she piled all the soap bars into her big teapot and played with them all weekend. Sometimes the simplest things are the most fun.

3 comments:

Patty said...

These are wonderful quilts. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Pamela said...

I love Stella Blue - those colors are so lovely! I think those geese flying backwards add a little unexpected pizzazz to the border. Good finish! And the soaps are cute, too :)

Chantal said...

Wow! you were quite busy in October. Congratulations on the finishes. Wonderful quilts, both of them. Sewing gadget holder freestanding? I've never heard of such a thing but I want one. I'm forever looking for this or that as I sew. Having the gadgets standing upright wouldn't take much room on my sewing desk. I need to find this pattern on the net. Love the fabric on the back too. So many soaps! Wow! Like I said, you were busy! ;^)