Friday, October 4, 2019

One Monthly Goal for October

I have two goals for the OMG Challenge this month--to finish the last of the Yankee Puzzle quilts, which has been sitting on the frame for weeks now....

.... and to finish the Stella Blue quilt. Stella Blue is a pattern by Miss Rosie's Quilt Co, I believe, and the center part of the top was made by my quilting pal Koleen, who passed away a couple of summers ago. She also had the flying geese units for the border made, but I had to square them up and sew them into the borders. My 1/4" seam allowance is not the same as Koleen's was, so I had a devil of a time getting them to fit correctly.

It's a very pretty quilt, and I love the colors, so looking forward to finishing it.

To see goals others have set for themselves for the month of October, click HERE

I have some other projects in the works this month. The Missouri Two Steps blocks are finished and ready to be sewn into a top.

And because I am not one to shy away from creating more UFOs, lol, I started sewing this miniature flag quilt, a pattern by The Hope Chest. It requires the use of the Split Recs ruler from Studio 180. I don't think half rectangle blocks are particularly easy to do, so I am thrilled how easy these blocks are going together.

When I first starting seeing the demos for Studio 180 at quilt shows, I didn't pay much attention. Who needs more rulers, not to mention the expense? But I finally took a Hunter's Star class with a local instructor certified to teach the Studio 180 methods, and I was hooked. These rulers are based on the same concept that so many of us use for half square triangles--make it oversized and square it up. They work as advertised, and boy, do they save a lot of headaches. Quite a few of these rulers are for specific types of units that are a trial to make, so I now own most of their rulers. Money well spent. I am not affiliated with these people, just a happy convert.

Last but not least, two things came together for me this week. My quilt chapter is doing a Bucket List Challenge this year. How many times have we said, gee, I always wanted to make this quilt, hence the challenge.

I was originally going to do a Wheel of Mystery (also called Winding Ways), but I found a couple of the larger Twister rulers on a recent bus trip and bought them because I always wanted to make a Twister quilt. Coincidentally a gal in our chapter did a demo on Wednesday for the Twister block. So! I have a new grand-niece in the family, and I want to make this small baby quilt for her. It will measure about 40" square, depending on how wide a border I add.

It is cold here today, in the 40s. I hated to turn on my heat, but it got too chilly in the house. I'm hoping it will be warmer in the afternoons on Saturday and Sunday so I can get out and wash windows and screens to put away for the winter. I'd really rather be quilting, lol, but this needs to get done.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have some wonderful quilty goals! But I admit to being most taken with Stella Blue. Beautiful!

Patty said...

Super quilts! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Unknown said...

I have a question about the circle wedge tree skirt.
I'm confused as to how and why,why do you fold down the ends and then when you do how do you see the strip. I've been fighting this for 2 days. Can you help.

SueR said...

Can't be of much help if there's no way to contact you. Send me an email!