Friday, February 13, 2009

On The Quilting Front

I started piecing the sashing units for the Star BOM this week, and I really like how it's coming together. My cornerstones, which may be different from the original, will finish at 2-1/2 inches square. The center square in that small unit, which you can hardly see in the photo, finishes to 1/2 inch. It's a bit like piecing blocks for a miniature quilt.

None of the blocks and sashing units have been sewn together yet, but I hope to finish them by next week.

My quilt chapter is having an X-Block workshop in a couple of weeks. I'd never heard of x-blocks before, but I thought I'd try it because it's something different and because I can use up some scraps. There are x-block rulers available in several different sizes, and I started playing around with one of the mini rulers to see if I liked it. These blocks will finish to 3-3/4". An odd measurement, because this size is actually intended to fit in the center square of a 7-1/2" x-block. There is also a ruler for a 4" size, which I would have preferred, but it wasn't available locally, so I made due.

These blocks start out life as nine patches, and then you use the ruler to trim them to the shape shown in the photograph. Easy enough to make nine patches right? Patricia Pepe, creator of the concept and the ruler, has a website here, if you're interested.

4 comments:

Stephanie D said...

That's a weird size--but love the blocks!

Beth French said...

Really handsome, Sue! The sashing is very effective.

Margo in Maine said...

very pretty....bom...I get the 12th one today...am looking forward to it...I have enjoyed so much doing this....I like the ease of fitting it in with other things and at the end having a wonderful quilt....I am not doing the X block.....too much on my plate....knitting is also looking great....I will try and post the christmas stockings I do ....I keep forgetting....

jovaliquilts said...

I saw these at a booth at the last big quilt show I went to. It's a great concept, but I'm not sure you really need her tools and patterns -- they're just kind of wonky cuts. But I bet her tool makes it easier. I bought one, but haven't used it yet -- I'll be interested to see what you make!