I am only truly happy when I am starting a new project, so I started a few new ones this past week. I mentioned that Koleen already had a new pattern ready for me to work on, the one with the 30s repro fabrics, so I got started on it earlier this week. All the pieces are cut, and I used 20 fat quarters plus 1-1/8 yards for the background, 3/4 yard for border and binding, and 2-1/2 yards of muslin for some foundation piecing. Lots of half square triangles units in this one.
Then there was the aforementioned stack-n-whack quilt from Saturday's workshop. Bethany's quilt called for 35 blocks, but I think I may only make 20, which means I have 13 more to make. Although I bought 7 yards for the quilt, I've only cut up about 3 yards so far and don't know how much more I'll use, so I'm reporting only the 3 yards right now.
I missed making Bonnie's last mystery quilt, which really turned out to be a beauty; so I'm going to try to make the next one, which is called Orange Crush. Although the first step is up on her website, I haven't actually started sewing any strips together yet, but the bins of light and dark strips are sitting on my sewing table beckoning me. I'm not reporting any yardage on that one just yet.
JudyL offered up a log cabin challenge on her website, so I thought I'd get in on that too. This started out as another block swap I participated in with the same group of ladies as the Lover's Knot block swap I hated. I actually like these crooked log cabins, which are foundation pieced, but they became a UFO. If you wait six or eight years before you work on a project again, it can be just as much fun as starting a brand new project. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to report the yardage on this one yet, since I have about 40 blocks already made.
Right before I went to Lancaster, I loaded a small practice quilt on my Lizzie and have been playing around with it to get familiar with the machine. I rarely use solid colored fabric in my quilts but somehow managed to accumulate quite a lot of it, so I decided that would be just fine to practice machine quilting with. The practice quilt I loaded used almost 4 yards of fabric.
I missed making a stash report last Sunday because I had just gotten back from Lancaster, but you may recall that I bought about 50 yards of fabric, 49-5/8 yards to be exact, which dug the hole I'm already in much deeper. Luckily I was too busy to go out and buy any fabric this week, so here's the Sunday stash report.
Fabric added this week: Incredible as it may sound, zero
Fabric added year to date: Incredible as it may sound, 113-1/8 yards
Fabric used this week: Not so incredible, 7-3/8 yards
Fabric used year to date: A pretty respectable 58-1/8 yards
Net used year to date: A nice round number, -55 yards
I might also add, this is the first week since February 18 that I haven't added any fabric to my stash. You can see I have very little willpower when it comes to fabric.