Saturday, August 9, 2008

Quiltathon Weekend

This is a Quiltathon weekend, but I have to work tomorrow, so I am only sewing today in between some chores. This morning I sat at the kitchen table with my coffee and finished the binding for Bug Strippy #2, so there's another (small) finish for the year.

The Twisting Star is Block 2 in the Galaxy of Stars quilt, which is a sampler quilt designed by Lynn Dash. There's only one block like this in the quilt. It took me a couple hours to piece it because I was trying to be very precise so all the pieces would fit together nicely.

I foundation pieced the subunits using a method I learned from the Info-EQ list. Because you don't actually sew through the foundation, freezer paper is a requirement for this method in order to anchor the pieces to the paper. Instead of sewing through the paper, the paper is folded on the sewing line, and the seam is sewn next to the paper but not through it. Each piece is then pressed open and adhered to the freezer paper. After the unit is completed, you simply peel off the freezer paper. No little bits of paper to remove later! You can then reuse the same foundation for successive units. I used a single foundation for all eight subunits. It is a method that works exceedingly well.

7 comments:

Gina said...

Beautiful Star. I like your version of the paper piecing. I'll have to give it a try

Love and hugs gina xxx

Barb D said...

Sue, BEAUTIFUL!!!! The freezer paper method you used is very similar to what is called "picture piecing" by my friend Cynthia England. I would like to try it! You say it is on EQ website?

Margo in Maine said...

Love the colors..pretty sharp looking...It would interest me maybe you or Barb can show me 'how'...when she learns..(smile)

Donna said...

The block turned out beautiful! The quilt will be stunning when you get it all together.

Lurline said...

Beautiful star - and fascinating how you have done it.
Hugs - Lurline.

Liz said...

Hi Sue,
What a beautiful block.
This will be a stunning quilt.
I love star blocks and quilts.
I have seen the piecing method you used but haven't tried it myself yet. I will have to try it as your block is so precise and I removing foundation papers is so tedious.
Kind regards from Liz

Sweet P said...

I like your star block. The colors are gorgeous. We've had lots of rain in New Hampshire too. I hope we start to dry out soon.