My good friend Ann suggested that the strippies might also make good quilts for folks in wheelchairs, so eventually I might make some using more grown up prints. I have 10 or 12 yards of bug fabric to use up first though, and that will keep me busy for a while.
Just for a change, I'd also like to make some vertical strippies. Using the same proportions would work equally well, I think, and there would be fewer but longer seams to piece.
I haven't gotten around to buying my bolt of muslin yet, so I took a set of hand dyed fat quarters I've had for many years and cut them up into strips for a backing. I never used them because I didn't care for the texture of the muslin that was used and because I rarely use solid colors in my quilts. Anyway, I took each fat quarter and cut a 10" wide strip and a 6" wide strip out of it. Then I sewed all the same width strips together into two enormously long strips, then measured and cut 48" long sections from each strip. I haven't sewed the sections together yet, but this is what the backing will look like. I cut and sewed enough strips for one backing plus most of another and will just have to cut up a few more fat quarters for the additional backing for next week's strippy--which will be, you guessed it, more bug fabric!
I'm hoping to finish sewing the backing together this evening and then get it loaded and quilted tomorrow when I get home from work.