Sunday, August 12, 2012

August Finish

The second Bug Strippy is done and quilted with the same dragonfly pantograph. I have been applying the binding on these strippies all by machine, and I'm really beginning to like that method. I think it was on Millie's Quilting blog that I found one day the method where you apply quarter-inch wide fusible along the edge, iron the binding in place, then topstitch it. I use a small zig zag stitch to do this, and it works so well.

I finished the quilting on Holidays at Home and took that off the frame yesterday and got the binding sewn to one side of the quilt. This morning I sat down and started handstitching it on the back side and hope to have that done before the end of the week.

This afternoon I loaded Christmas Lights, a quilt by Bonnie Hunter that was featured in Quiltmaker a couple years ago. I'll bet some of you made this quilt--I saw quite a few of them around the blogosphere last year or the year before. My top has been in the ready-to-quilt pile for quite a while. I wanted to quilt little light bulbs on it but couldn't find a pantograph that I liked. Then I thought maybe a simple tree with a star on top. My border print is poinsettias though, so I finally settled on a poinsettia pantograph, and I went with a yellow-green-rose variegated thread. I like the effect. The pattern is one of the more difficult ones for me to stitch out, but it's going pretty well. I don't know how well you can see the stitching. It's a busy pattern on a busy quilt.

I'm on track to finish at least three quilts this month, all UFOs; and it's a good feeling to get them off my plate.

3 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Ah, the joys of a machine. (and knowing how to make it do your bidding). Congrats on the finish!

Lynette said...

The poinsettia panto looks terrific on that quilt. Don't you love Bonnie's scrappy patterns? I'm eager to make about 4 of them, including this one and Orca Bay.

Judy S. said...

Love the bug quilt! And the Christmas one is nice too. That sounds like a very interesting way to do binding! #39 turned out great!