Saturday, February 2, 2008

Super Bowl Bargello Sunday


I was late getting home from work yesterday and was too tired to sew, so I spent some time sorting through my UFOs. Periodically I find one here and there that, deep down, I know I'm never going to finish. This small sampler is from a hand piecing class I took 8 or 9 years ago, so it is hand pieced, hand appliqued, and partially hand quilted. I think I applique and quilt fairly well, but it is unbearably slow work for me, and I have yet to finish a quilt completely by hand. After all, I'd like to be able to actually use it in my lifetime.

I offered it up to a friend, who seemed only too happy to have it, sight unseen. That's one way to get a UFO off the list!

The only hand work I ever do now on a quilt is the binding. I sew it to the front by machine, then hand sew it to the back. I like to sit at the kitchen table in the morning with a cup of coffee and work on a binding for an hour or so. I actually enjoy that little bit of hand sewing.

Chocolate is at the ready for tomorrow's Super Bowl Bargello Sunday at Bonnie's website. I was fairly intimidated with choosing 128 fabrics for the required strips, or even half that many; so I've decided to work on Bonnie's Scrappy Trips Around The World instead. That way I only have to think about 6 fabrics at a time. Either way, I'm thinking I'll need a heap more strips than this, so I'd better get cracking!

Credit where credit is due:
These blocks are all in the public domain.
Sampler quilt is my own design. You are welcome to borrow it, copy it, steal it, or sell it. Flattery will get you everywhere.

No comments: