Wednesday, May 21, 2008

QFAH - Hour 2

I finished 34 of the required 48 units for Hour 2 last night. The first one or two units I constructed did not come out to the correct size, and I spent quite a lot of time fooling around with these trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. What finally worked for me was to place the star fabric slightly back away from the edge of the background fabric and sew the normal quarter inch seam allowance. In most cases, once the pieces were pressed open, I could trim off just a hair for a perfect 3-1/2" unit. It also eliminated any possibility of shadowing of those dark star points through the light fabric on the top.


I did finish sewing the last of these units this morning. I love, love, love these colors; and I have my good friend Ann to thank for the inspiration. I was quite enamored of a gorgeous quilt that Ann displayed in our chapter quilt show recently that used a similar color palette. Ann's quilt also won Best of Show. Congratulations again, Ann.

Judy posted Hour 3 this morning; and now that I have a method for doing these units, the rest should go more quickly.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

You sure did pick a beautiful color palette!

Pat said...

I happy you figured out the best way for you to construct your star points. It's going to be a stunning quilt!